Thursday, May 2, 2013

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera (320hp/273tq) - my test-drive

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera (996 model) (320hp/273tq) - my test-drive

Porsche 911 definitely is my dream car and I wanted to see how an older 996 model does in my review. I found this model close to my area and decided to test-drive it. This car would put a smile on your face every day going to work. It handles as it is on rails and at the same time it so comfortable enough that for my taste I could take it on a 3-4 hour trip to Vegas and not get tired. I am impressed with the mechanical grip and also the overall technology and build quality. Even though this car is 11 years old, it felt tighter than some of the newer cars getting off of an assembly line.

Let me talk about the power. It has 320hp but it feel like 370hp because Porsche just masters in transferring that power to the wheels. I don't think that I would need the Turbo version of 911 because this one is just great as a daily driver. There were some sharp corners in my test-drive and the sales guys is like "down-shift to 2nd and slam on it through the corner".......... and I did........wow. This car just takes any apex confidently; it is neutral with a bit of oversteer in street driving and probably on the track, I could definitely get it to oversteer more.

If I had to pick one negative thing about this car, it would be the shape of headlights on the 996 model. I am not a big fan of these. I could get over that knowing that I could get this used sports car for under $30k; I could spend $1k getting some aftermarket headlights that would keep me happy.

Conclusion:
If you were looking to buy a new sports car in $30k range, step back and think about it. Test-drive 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera for the same cost but with 70,000 miles; big deal; the car felt like new and it is really a Volkswagen behind the shell. So if you do the maintenance at a friend's shop, it can be cheap to maintain.


Keywords: #porsche #porsche911 #carrera #996 #car #cars #carreview #autoreview
<THE END>




No comments:

Post a Comment