Saturday, November 29, 2014

DIY is becoming harder from day to day

I changed the battery on my Mini Cooper today. The engine bay is so compact that the battery is placed very close to the windshield under the plastic that is the base for the vipers. It is a 2009 model and I bought this car about 2+ years ago and this is the first time changing the battery. It took me a while to get to the battery. After I changed the battery, I quickly consulted with a tech at the Mini dealer and he told that I would need to have the car programmed to accept the new battery specifications. The computer needs to know when to start and stop charging based on the specifications.

Cars are getting more complicated these days and many components are controlled by the car computer. When my car could not start, I could not even put the car in Neutral to push it out the parking spot. These type of things make me get a car that has minimal electronics. Mini Cooper is just an example. I like my Mini Cooper, but I now totally understand why Magnus Walker sticks to 1960s and early 1970s Porsches.

DIY is becoming harder from day to day.


- almirsCorner.com -

#tech #diy #cars #ECU #computer #carbattery 

No comments:

Post a Comment