Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Healthy to learn something outside your BOX

When you have a problem to solve, what is the most typical way to approach it?
Everybody is different, but most of us try to stay within our comfort zone because that’s what makes us feel more stable or more secure. We have one tool and we try to solve all the problems with that tool. When it comes to providing software solutions, you have to step a bit out of that comfort zone in order to innovate and in order to provide flexibility for someone else to innovate.
I started my career in Unix/C++ software engineering world 20 years ago. Then I switched to a Microsoft shop at the end of 90s. I’ve been in the Microsoft world until recently, but I’ve shown interest in other technologies that are from the open-source community. In last few years I started digging deeper into Python, Node.js, and recently back into Java area. I have not been doing this because I am unhappy with what Microsoft had to offer, but I am rather doing it because I want to explore and find out how the open-source community has solved problems and what solutions/options are in the open-source world. This expanded my horizon a lot. It could mean that I will stay more in the open-source world or it could mean that I would take the concepts I learned and take them back into the Microsoft-shop (Microsoft is also in open-source community now) and apply them in such a way to keep things simple. Regardless, it is a win-win for me.
What are you doing to step out of your box? Try to dedicate only 1 hour per day and don’t worry about your progress. Check back in 30 days and you will see amazing results.
Thanks for reading this article. Please follow me and read some of my other articles about software engineering.
Almir Mustafic.


No comments:

Post a Comment